Autism 101: Online Course 2
There are more misconceptions surrounding autism, which often obscure accurate, scientific information about the disorder.
- Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the U.S.
- Over 1.5 million individuals in the United States have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.
- The diagnosis rate for autism is rising 10-17% each year.
- Males are 4 times more likely than females to be diagnosed with autism.
- The symptoms and characteristics of autism can present themselves in a wide variety of combinations, from mild to severe.
- Most individuals with autism live in institutions.
- Children with autism rarely attend college.