August 20, 2012
By Autism Society of Greater Austin
The Autism Society of Greater Austin has submitted a panel presentation proposal called "Apps for Autism" to two divisions of the South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival.
Now all we have to do is make sure that our proposal is selected – which is where you and all your friends come in!
SXSW gauges interest in proposed topics through its PanelPicker Web page. This forum allows people around the world to read, evaluate, and comment on the proposal ideas. We need your help and support to show that this topic is fresh, current and relevant to the community-at-large.
Our panel will include three members:
1.) A BCBA/educator who has trained professionals, parents and people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in using assistive technology;
2.) A representative from Bridging Apps who has written a book on iPad apps;
3.) A moderator.
We would also like to live-stream a person on the autism spectrum who uses a communication device. For background, we'll include video clips from communication software developers and news media.
We believe that the dialogue on PanelPicker will help spread autism awareness. SXSW is a showcase for the arts, technology, education, and innovation. Through this panel, we'll demonstrate that people with autism can participate in mainstream society using technology and that technology can bridge gaps between populations. We hope to take this a step further by initiating discussion on the development and use of technology for and by people with ASD not only for communication and education, but also employment. We will be checking the comments page daily to respond to your comments.
SXSW PanelPicker voting for Interactive opened August 13 and runs through August 31, so please spread the word!
Now quit reading and go vote by following these easy directions:
To vote for our panel:
1. Go to this webpage - http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ .
2. Click sign in.
3. Click sign up on the next webpage that loads. Follow prompts to enter your email address and a password (which enables you to comment on our proposal)
4. Once you have registered, you will be sent to a welcome page. At this page, please click search/vote. You will now have access to all submitted proposals.
5. The easiest way to find our proposal every time you access this page is to enter “Apps for Autism” or “Autism Society” in the search box. Our proposal is one of 3 listed – click it and you are there!
6. Once you find "Apps for Autism" please click the Like (thumbs up) button on the upper left and make a comment or ask a question of the panelists. You can "like" the proposal as often as you choose – vote early and often!
7. The comments pages will be open to the public until August 31, so vote today, vote again tomorrow and put a reminder on your calendar to vote next week!
Thanks so much for your help! Please leave us a comment to let us know you voted.
Please login or register before you comment. Click here to login or register.