We need your help spreading the word about proposed changes to Medicaid that if approved, could have a devastating impact on the well-being of individuals with a disability.
Right now, Congress is considering significant changes to Medicaid and health care coverage, which if approved, will radically change the support system in place for so many with a disability and the poor. How as a nation can we even consider reducing services for people with a disability, when we know that in far too many states, waiting list for services might be as long as ten years? That is unacceptable.
In 1965, when the Autism Society of America was formed, it was the result of parents who said no to the institutionalization for their child when he or she was diagnosed with autism. The work of these amazing individuals led to great changes for people with a disability. All of our progress could be lost if we don’t act now!
We need to get everyone engaged to make sure Congress understands how important Medicaid is and how the proposed changes will affect people with disabilities.
Here’s what you can do:
- Share our letter. Tell your elected officials that the Medicaid changes under consideration are not acceptable.
- Join the Autism Society and advocates across the country for a National Medicaid Call-in Day on Thursday, March 16, 2017. Call your senators and representatives (202-224-3121) and urge them to oppose the proposed Medicaid cuts in the American Health Care Act. Be sure to share personal stories of how Medicaid impacts your life and what will happen if you don’t get help.
- Spread the word throughout your social media channels. Feel free to use the following suggested messages or create a personalized message:
- Medicaid is the nation’s largest health insurer for kids w/disabilities & special health care needs #SaveMedicaid #Ignite4Autism
- Medicaid is currently the gold standard for children’s health care, including #EPSDT. Don’t force states to cut benefits. #SaveMedicaid #Ignite4Autism
- (Facebook) Medicaid is currently the gold standard for children’s health care, including Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT). Call your Members of Congress today (202-224-3121) and tell them to protect Medicaid! #SaveMedicaid
Thursday – National Day of Action
- (Facebook) Today is Medicaid Day of Action! Call your Members of Congress today (202-224-3121) and urge them to oppose the proposed Medicaid cuts in the American Health Care Act because the caps on Medicaid funding will be extremely damaging to people with disabilities and many others. #SaveMedicaid #Ignite4Autism
- Today is #Medicaid Day of Action! Call your Members of Congress today (202-224-3121) and urge them to #SaveMedicaid #Ignite4Autism
- #SaveMedicaid so people with disabilities can live healthy, independent, and fulfilling lives. #Ignite4Autism
- Do NOT allow restructuring and cuts to Medicaid to be part of an ACA replacement #SaveMedicaid #Ignite4Autism